Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Letter

I write letters a lot without ever sending them. This is one of my favorites.

Dear *****,

Hey there, old pal. You know what rocks? That we've been through so much craziness and we're still good friends. Sometimes I wonder how things would have been if I gave a relationship with you a chance. I'm sure it was all for the best. I'm absolutely positive it was. But, still, I wonder. After how I treated you, I'm surprised that you still wanted to be friends. But I'm SO glad you did. You've kept me sane. Watching you grow up is bittersweet for me. It's cool to see you becoming a man and all, but I'll miss your goofy, immature side. I think that's what I fell for back then. That and the care you showed me when no one else did.
We never talk about this. And that's fine. It's good. It makes things less awkward to pretend none of it ever happened. But at the same time, it was so real. Undeniable. Or at least I think it was. It all seems so distant now. Like I could have made it up. But I know I didn't. I really felt those things and you did too. Don't forget it. It's made us who we are today.

Thanks for always being there for me and teaching me so much about life and myself. You taught me to take action when life sucks instead of just moping around. You've always been great to talk to. Really cathartic and at the same time really helpful with giving advice and all. You saved my self esteem from total destruction, you know. I love you to death, man. Really, I do. I hope we keep in touch so I can watch you succeed in life.

Love always,

Ashley

Currently listening to: "Split Me Wide Open" The Bravery

No comments:

Post a Comment