Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Fashion- Debbie Harry


If you know her at all, you know her as the frontwoman for punk band Blondie. Yeah, that’s right. Debbie headed up a punk rock band. Obviously, she had to be fierce. But she also managed to be feminine.

“It was a funny thing being a girl singer during the punk era. It was an odd position to take. Since I was a front for a bunch of guys, it was like some of their perspective came through me… I was cute, but I had to be tough, too. So that helped me in a way. It made me become… uh… schizophrenic.”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure that’s like the epitome of sexy. It’s part of the appeal of women like Angelina Jolie. Debbie Harry was a bombshell in every sense of the word. On stage, Debbie flaunted her sexuality when necessary. She was a woman and she didn’t want us to forget it. But she was hardcore. Debbie was one of the first women ever to front and all-guy band. Imagine how rough that wouldbe. Basically, Debbie was the Haley Williams of the 70’s and 80’s only way cooler. Debbie could hold her own with the boys but she also knew how to glam it up.


Debbie is my ultimate idol. It’s because she’s so versatile. She could run onstage in an ensemble that screams “don’t mess with me” and work a classy, sophisticated number and always look comfortable and unique.

And at 64, Debbie’s still got it.

I’m sure you’ve noticed the two-tone hair trend going around. It usually incarnates itself in a bleached blond top layer with a darker color underneath. Debbie Harry definitely was at the foreground of this trend and if it weren’t for her, I’ll bet it wouldn’t ever have been on the radar.

A casual Debbie look would probably consist of some black skinny jeans, a vintage T-shirt and some leather combat boots. A more formal Debbie-inspired look would include a slinky party dress (most likely asymmetrical), some fabulous heels, simple jewelry and bright red lipstick. Below I have created some feasible, modern interpretations of Debbie's look.

Currently listening to: "Rip Her to Shreds" Blondie





1 comment:

  1. the woman ALWAYS kills it! love her

    following :)

    myglitteringcreation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete